Saturday, March 19, 2011

From rats nest to....

When I 1st started repairing and building bikes 25 plus years ago electrical was one thing I couldnt stand. I couldnt stand it mainly because I didnt understand it. Today I feel different about electrical altogether and its one of the things I look forward to when I am working on a scoot.
 Electrical is one of those things you find half assed or way over thought on bike builds. This bike when it came in had more wires then the space shuttle. Half of the wiring was melted due to shorts. I am surprised that the coil and ignition didnt fry it was so bad. I take a moment to lay the job out on paper before I jump into it. It saves me a lot of heartache in the long run.
On this 1971 Ironhead it is just getting the basics. Horn, High/low, kill switch, electric start button, 3 way key, regulator and tail light brake light. The bike also needs to retain the stock hand controls and switches to cut down on the cost.
Simple fittings and wires are used for a low budget clean harness as this bike has a max on the amount that can be spent on it. The hand made wiring harness is looking pretty clean so far. Next will be wiring up the switches, buttons and lights tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment